« Nipping | Main | The bulging eyeball »

Begging

IMG_4303.JPG

Pugs love food. Consequently, they have a tendency to get overweight, and risk hip dysplatia. We are trying not to feed Shelby scraps, however she has a naturally forlorn face, and that does get her table scraps occasionally. Here is Shelby at a friend's house, begging for snacks. Mostly we have fed her "aquired tastes" to discourage her from begging. To date, Shelby has tried little bits of lemon, pickles, and red onion. She never refuses, even if she clearly doesn't like it.

March 6, 2004 | Permalink

Comments

Begging- Fist of all, let me say that Shelby is ADRORABLE! I have two pugs at home, a fawn girl, and a black boy. They both came into my home as adults, so you are very lucky to be enjoying Shelby in her early years. Pugs are even cuter as babies (if that's possible). Anyways, on to my post...
In order for me to ration out treats and such to my poochies, so they don't gain too much weight, I break it into tiny pieces, as small as I can. Through trial and error over the years, I have realized that it's not the quantity that they enjoy, it's the act of me giving them treats that they love. So, for example, I take one beggin strip, and break it into 3 pieces, so each time I give my dogs a treat, I take only 1/3 of the beggin strip and give it to each dog. But the 1/3 has been broken down further so they can enjoy their treats for a longer period of time, else they will swallow the treat whole!
Good luck!

Posted by: htc | Apr 6, 2004 9:24:39 AM

Hello Winnie and Shelby,

First of all, I would like to say how cute and adorable Shelby is :-) I have a Rottweiler back in Indonesia and here is some tips that I would like to share with you about not allowing your pet to receive foods or treats from other people except from you. It may sound not polite, a bit cruel and that it makes you look like you don't trust people, but I have some points why to stress this.

I believe that Shelby is most of the time with you, but you can't be with her 24/7. And as a matter of fact, you're the only one who knows and understands your pet very well. Your friends and relatives surely never have any intention in hurting or toxicating Shelby, but please keep in mind that dogs are vulnerable to some treats that humans aren't and of course to CHOCOLATE. Yes, dogs are vulnerable to chocolate since this delicious treat contains caffeine and , most important, theobromine. The last one is the one that is really dangerous to dogs. A dog which is toxicated by chocolate will suffer terrible stomache and usually vomit (most often bleeding vomit). And this vomit has a chocolate scent although covered with blood. Later on, the dog will drip excessive saliva, be nervous, and have difficulty coordinating his body. The dog will be easily thirsty while keep dripping, therefore he will drink exceville and then throw up again. Later on, the dog will die. These symptoms are very similar to the symptoms of distemper, so even vets cannot exactly recognize the early symptoms of a chocolate-toxicated dog. A 250-gram chocolate can kill a 10-kilogram or 22-pound dog. A fact states that many dogs in US die due to eating chocolate. Please refer to a "Dogs and Chocolates" webpage at http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0011.htm and a webpage of a true story that a Golden Retriever was toxicated nearly to death by munching easter-holiday chocolates left at a table at http://www.vetheart.com/choc.html

The next case is dogs toxicated by strangers while are left alone, although here in US is more unlikely to happen, but please remember the saying that goes "never talk to strangers". I have often witnessed pets being poisoned by strangers while the owners are not around. Also that dogs have a tendency to munch (and swallow) everything left on floor / ground. Better be prepared than regret later. That's why I think it's important for you to train Shelby that treats only come from you (or others whom you trust) and foods are only served in her dining bowl. And most important is, NO CHOCOLATE :-)

Posted by: Fari Nasution | Apr 27, 2004 1:17:02 PM

Thanks for the comment. Chocolate, especially baking chocolate is very posionous to dogs. Thanks for including the link.

I also wanted to mention, that onions, garlic, and macadamia nuts are also very bad for dogs. In fact, the list of poisonous items just seems to get longer and longer. In fact, I find that as a principle, Shelby doesn't get scraps. Training her not to take food from strangers might be impossible at this point. Shelby would go home with another family for a burger. What Steven and I have done instead is let people feed Shelby, but only with our treats.

Posted by: Winnie Wong | Apr 27, 2004 10:41:29 PM

Can across your blog - yep, i was doing a search for "pugs obsessive licking", LOL. We have four pugs - yep 4. 10, 7, and two are 4. Oi. Its a constant joy and the entertainment never ceases. We LOVE pugs (obviously), but the licking is bordering on OCD big time. Hasn't always been this bad. Its not hurting them, just annoying as hell at 7AM if you want to sleep in for the weekend. FYI, our pugs have been on a raw food diet for almost a year now. They are slim and trim and healthier than ever.. very active, happy. And of course they LOVE the food!! In case you're interested: http://barfworld.com It turned big fat allergy-ridden slugs into happy, healthy slim puggies :-) Best of luck with yours. We definitely recommend another ;)

Posted by: Matt and Mike | Jul 20, 2004 10:52:04 AM

The comments to this entry are closed.