What's wrong with Shelby?
Shelby has a rash on her belly. We thought that maybe she laid in something that she is allergic to while at the dog park. But really, we're guessing. Steven and I aren't sure what triggered the rash. Looking up causes of rashes on the Web, I discovered that there's a whole lot of stuff that can be associated with a rash — most of them totally disgusting.
The odd thing is that the rash does not appear to be bothering Shelby. She's not trying to scratch the area. And there's been no change in her behavior. I've mentioned before that she's not a complainer. This is one of those times where if she was, it would be easier to figure out what's going on.
So Steven took Shelby to the vet. He had to leave her there because they needed a urine sample. I really wasn't sure how they were going to get this, and when Steven explained, I wished he hadn't. :P
Unfortunately, our little Shelby has a staph infection, the vet suspects the dog park as the source, but the bacteria is quite common, and in times of low resistence (such as allergy) an infection can take hold. So it's quite possible that Shelby was allergic to something, and that made her susceptable. He wasn't sure what was causing the rash, so he prescribed an anti-microbial cream. The vet visit cost us 230.00 with medicines (ouch).
This pretty much means that we've spent our Furminator review part 2 money on vet bills instead. Which is fine because I want Shelby to get better. This week at the dog park, the pug meet was going to have a pool for the little doggies to play in. Poor Shelby's just going to miss out.
Her rash is looking much better, and she's almost done with her antibiotics. So in about a week, she should be out and about again.
June 10, 2005 | Permalink
Hi Winnie. What you describe sounds familiar. 2 of my furkids started having probs w/staph rashes. After some investigations, I decided to try a diet change to see if possibly the allergy was diet related. (you know, sometimes food allergies can take a while to evidence themselves, & once the allergens reach a saturation point in the body's system, things start breaking down, like resistance to bacterial & yeast infections). I eliminated wheat, corn, & chicken from my furkids' diets, & there hasn't been a recurrence of rash in over 2 years. When I first did the diet change, I was still feeding them commerical kibble, & I used some of the Wellness kibbles (they have several w/no wheat/corn/chicken). Solid Gold, Flint River Ranch, & Nature's Variety have some excellent wheat/corn/chicken-free offerings, too. I hope both Shelby & your wallet recover soon!
Posted by: patricia | Jun 10, 2005 10:22:48 AM
Please get better, Shelby, so you can go in the pool with the other puppies!
Posted by: diana | Jun 10, 2005 12:12:33 PM
Actually getting a urine sample from my pug, Niles, wasn't that bad. I followed him around outside with a specimen cup and then stuck it under him while he peed. Yes, he did pee on my hand but lets be honest, getting a sample from a child is just as risky!
Posted by: Shelley | Jun 10, 2005 12:31:04 PM
Aw, poor Shelby--glad the vet determined the cause of the rash and prescribed appropriate medications...sorry, Winnie, that it cost lots of money--hopefully, you will get the $$$ back in the future....
You are right--if Shelby was a "complainer" then you might have been able to detect something sooner. But, you are a loving owner to take good care of your baby!
Posted by: Jade Flores | Jun 10, 2005 1:22:48 PM
Poor Shelby! I know what it's like when a pet is sick and the vet bills are big. She's lucky to have such good parents. Hope she gets better soon!
Posted by: Sonya | Jun 10, 2005 5:22:34 PM
Shelby's eating Wellness, and occassionally we augment her food with a little treat, like cooked liver. But we have just cut back her food recently due to her "obese" warning on the vet's monitor. I suppose that could have something to do with a depressed immune system.
And as far as getting the urine sample, Shelby wouldn't pee at the vet, so they had to use a needle through her abdomen to extract it. Ouch!
Posted by: Winnie | Jun 10, 2005 11:18:52 PM
I have a hard time getting a urine specimen from my female dog, too. Here's something t hat may help you: you can take a small tin pie plate or trim down a plastic Solo cup and slide it under her when she squats down. Then transfer it to a clean tupperware container.
The needle does sound painful, but it's a better method since the urine does not get contaminated. My little pug girl is just getting over a kidney infection and 8 weeks of antibiotics so she's had the needle a few times. Poor thing!
Posted by: Candice | Jun 11, 2005 4:30:52 PM
Oh no... poor Shelby! Sammy will miss her at the dog park...I hope she feels better very soon!
Posted by: Cindy | Jun 11, 2005 10:43:37 PM
My puppy has a rash on her belly....I am wondering if it is the same....it is kind of patchy and spotty and grey and white
Posted by: Felicia | Dec 17, 2008 9:44:36 AM
I have a black pug, male, 2yrs old and he has a staff infection on his scrotum. I took him to the vet and this is what they are telling me. Any one heard of this problem before? He got a Azium injection (steroid) and Convernia injection (antibotic) and some Silvadene cream apply 2xs daily. It has been 5 days now and the area is not red anymore but it is still swollen some, the hair is kinda gone, it is about the same size (a quarter coin)I don't know if it is healing right or not. The vet was $79.00. Please help. Do pugs get staff on their scrotum alot? Does nutering help? Thanks, Linda
Posted by: Linda | Jan 23, 2010 11:36:17 PM
When Shelby was a puppy she would often get staph infections. They were pretty costly to treat. All those test to verify the bacteria and prescription creams add up.
I don't know if it's a normal thing for a puppy to go through though.
Posted by: Winnie | Jan 24, 2010 11:52:54 AM
i neutered my maile pug. Never heard of staph.
Posted by: Lena | Jan 31, 2010 11:16:57 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.