« Service Announcement: Please update your bookmarks | Main | Technical difficulties »

Shelby and Bear Playdate

On Labor Day weekend, Shelby had a playdate with Bear. It was nearly nont stop action until the two little ones fell asleep from what I assume to be exhaustion.

Playing with Bear

The day started around 11am, when Bear arrived, and the wrestling and chasing began. Shelby quite likes Bear, because he is so willing to chase her. I find that when Shelby gets together with other pugs, they all sit around waiting for someone to start the chase, and no one ever does, so it's great that Bear is so accommodating. Shelby thanked him by humping his butt.

Around noon, my friend and I went out to lunch, and we left Bear and Shelby in the bathroom, with the baby gate fencing them in, where they could do no damage. Bear is still a puppy, and hadn't quite figured out that our house was not the outdoors. We left them with Steven. My friend was a bit concerned, but I confidently said. "Steven can handle it."

I guess my first hint that things had not gone smoothly was that the radio was quite loud when we returned. I assumed that maybe there was a lot of barking and Steven was trying to distract himself from the annoyance. We then noticed that although the babygate we had put up was still there, bathroom door was partially closed, with a little chain keeping it from opening all the way.

Uh oh. What went on here?

As it turned out, Bear made an escape attempt. Although he's just a little guy, he jumped the baby gate, and the next thing Steven knows, Bear is running around downstairs. Steven commanded him to "Come" but Bear ran away. Steven had to corner the little guy and put him back in the bathroom. This explains the door. Hmm. Naughty dog. Is now a good time to mention that we think Bear is part Jack Russel Terrier?

After our return from lunch, we decided to take the dogs for a little walk along the creek. We brought lots of water as it was very hot. We walked slowly, because I didn't want Shelby to overheat. About 1/3 of the way to the creek Shelby started to slow down. "Don't worry," I said confidently. "Shelby will tell me when she's had enough." And no sooner did I finish that sentence, did Shelby lay down in the dirt. "Well that's the signal. She's done." And I carried her back to the house. (Oh Shelby you've gotten heavy.)

The dogs were ready for even more playtime now that they were in the air conditioned house, though they were finally starting to tucker each other out, and the fell asleep inbetween fits of play.

All in all, this was a great day for Shelby. She rarely gets to play this much with a dog. There were 4 pee cleanups, and one of Shelby's toys suffered a mortal casualty, but the little pug is sleeping really soundly tonight, which makes the adventure so worth it.


And, oh yes, it was nice to see my friend too. :)

September 10, 2007 | Permalink


Wow, Ruby has the same signal! :)

Posted by: DancesInGarden | Sep 10, 2007 7:17:07 AM

Yup, when Buffy's tired she plops her little butt down and looks up expectantly. "ok, carry me now!"

Posted by: Larissa | Sep 10, 2007 1:26:39 PM

Seeing how happy Shelby looks with Bear makes me want to arrange a playdate for my pug, Babeng :)

Posted by: thegrouch | Sep 10, 2007 5:16:17 PM

It's so nice to see them when they are truly tired from having so much fun...what I call a 'nice tired" the best kind...sleep well Shelby....

Posted by: Ann Crago | Sep 10, 2007 6:11:29 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.