« Everybody in the pool! | Main | Lookin' Spiffy »

Day in the Life: Tuesday Morning

Gopugyourself reader, Milly asked what my day is like before and after work, which made me realize that I've never done a Day-In-the-Life post on this blog before. While I don't have a maid, Steven and I do have help Mondays - Thursdays when my mom stays with us. That said, I would still LOVE to have a maid. I'm a terrible keeper of the house. Martha Stewart would be ashamed. But that will become more obvious in subsequent Day-in-the-life posts.

Tuesday Morning:

Usually my alarm goes off at 6:15, before Vin wakes up, so I get a chance to get ready for work before he starts to cry for his milk. Today he's an early bird, so that's not going to happen. Luckily I took the day off for my annual Doctor's checkup, so I can stay in my PJs for a while.

We call this Vin's "stink face." Cheer up baby! The bottle's here."
Day in the Life: Milk

Everything gets quiet and calm once the bottle is in his mouth, so I use that opportunity to change his diaper without a fight. I'm supposed to wean him off the bottle soon. That's going to be rough on the morning diaper change.
Day in the Life: Diaper change

Once again, it's Vin's stink face. He wants breakfast, and he's mad that I took his bottle away to wash. Once Vin is in the high chair, Shelby appears, ready for her breakfast as well. She used to get up when I got up, but realized it was pointless since no food would appear until Vin settled down.

Day in the Life: Breakfast
Shelby loves breakfast.

Day in the Life: Breakfast

I start Vin off with something he can eat with his fingers which gives me time to make his oatmeal and yogurt. Shelby is always there to clean up the spills. She's excellent at it.

Day in the Life: Breakfast
While Vin is munching on bananas, I empty the dishwasher. We run the wash every other day or so.

Day in the Life: Dishes

I pour our coffees. Our coffee machine has a timer, which makes mornings a little easier.
Day in the Life: Coffee
Vin's patience with breakfast wears thin, and I hand him kitchen playthings to keep him busy while he finishes eating. Sometimes he needs to be convinced that breakfast is a good idea, so I'll give him a banana slice, and when he opens his mouth to eat it, I shove in a spoonful of yogurt and oatmeal.

Day in the Life: Breakfast
I notice we're out of string cheese, so I add it to the list. Keeping a running grocery is a lot easier when there are 3 adults in the house. Mom and Steven rotate cooking duty, so the list keeps us from guessing. I also keep a list of what Vin eats every day, which makes handing off baby duty easier as well.

Day in the Life: Lists

As for my breakfast, I usually eat leftovers. Today, it's Bolani. It's a strange breakfast, but it works, and it's fast. While I'm eating, Vin is playing with kitchen utensils and a bead maze with suction cups that anchor it to the high chair table.

Day in the Life: Breakfast
I wash the breakfast dishes, and now it's time to dress Vin. He's cranky today, so I put his favorite toy in the crib with him while I figure out what to dress him in. This is the part of the morning where Shelby disappears back into her bed as there's no more food falling from the sky. "No manna from heaven? Forget it, I'm going back to bed."

Day in the Life: Rocket

Dressing him in the crib is easier than the changing table. He's very active this morning and I don't want him to fall off the edge.
Day in the Life: Gettiing Dressed
He's trying to grab my iPhone. He learned to navigate the pictures by running his finger across the screen and now he howls for it whenever he sees it. Ugh.

Then I make the bed, while Vin explores the bedroom. We keep the bed simple. Just pillows, and a duvet cover. I don't have time or patience to deal with flat sheets.

If this were a regular work day, Steven would have cleaned up the doggie poop. By 8:10 we would have either handed off Vin to my mom while Steven drops me off at the BART station to go to work, or if mom wasn't there, we would bring him along.

It's taken a year, but we finally gotten to the point where mornings go a bit more smoothly.

As for the Day-in-the-life-Evening and Weekend post, stay tuned.

May 26, 2009 | Permalink


Hi Winnie,

Thank you for the post. That's alot of things to do. What about yourself? You din mention dressing yourself or powdering your nose?Hahah.

Posted by: Milly | May 26, 2009 11:02:23 PM

I am pooped from just reading your morning. You are one busy lady.

Posted by: Nancy | May 27, 2009 7:08:59 AM

Sounds like you have it down to a science. Our pug, Dory, also heads back to bed after eating breakfast. I didn't know an animal could be so lazy. Looking forward to the evening and weekend posts!

Posted by: April | May 27, 2009 7:20:31 AM

...WOW...busy little family...makes me appreciate the time that you find to give to us in the "Shelby and Vin" fan club !!!
Thanks for the walk through Winnie...we can picture it in our heads now every morning...Cheers....

Posted by: Ann Crago | May 27, 2009 8:11:33 AM

Our pug spends her mornings lounging on the back of the couch before and after breakfast. In a side note, what kind of bottle does Vin have? I've never seen one like that before.

Posted by: Shelby | May 27, 2009 8:18:39 AM

That's an Adiri bottle. It has lots of good features. Not a perfect bottle, but we like it a lot.

Posted by: Winnie | May 27, 2009 9:25:25 AM

I loved this post Winnie. My son has a pug a year older than Shelby and they now have a week old baby boy! We have followed your blog since it's beginning and we are watching closely to see how this baby/pug baby thing works. So far, so good. His pug has taken it upon himself to "watch" the baby and he is up too for every feeding!

Posted by: carol | May 27, 2009 3:11:12 PM

How very precious. Isn't it wonderful how your life has changed. Vin is such a blessing. And adorable. ((smooch)) ((hug))

Posted by: Priscilla | May 28, 2009 11:37:57 AM

Weaning.....I did it the old hillbilly way.
Take it away during the dark of the moon. He won't mourn it that way. I told my son the garbage man took it with the trash! He believed it!
And thanks for the daily routine posting, that was great!

Posted by: Lisa | May 28, 2009 1:24:06 PM

Dear Winnie,
You must be exhausted! As much as you love your son and family and Shelby, the quiet
times may be few and far between for a while. Hope you have a special "get away" moments to refresh yourself daily--perhaps
when your son is taking naps or when your
mother can watch Shelby and baby Vin, while
you take a nap or take in a movie or go
to get pampered at a ladies' beauty salon
or massage chiropractor's office? Hope you
get some sleep, too. Thank you for letting us peek into your very dynamic lifestyle.

Posted by: Jade | May 28, 2009 6:45:10 PM

Is that a doggie door in your screen? I play doorman to my 2 pugs, Charlie and Marlie all day long and it gets to be annoying after the 100th time. If that is a doggie door where did you get it?

Aren't pugs the best dogs? I love mine!!


Posted by: Laurie | May 29, 2009 11:35:15 AM

Yes, we have a doogie door. It snaps into the screen door, so Shelby only has access to it when we have the sliding glass door open. It was easy to install and cheap (about 20 bucks). We got ours at Petsmart.

Posted by: Winnie | May 29, 2009 2:36:10 PM

Vin has awesome hair. He must get that from you. :)

Posted by: Kimmie | Jun 9, 2009 10:38:42 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.