« Day trip to Carmel | Main | Valentine's Day, one year ago »

Goodby Rufus

Shelby mangled Rufus. He was never meant to be a dog toy, so he just wasn't tough enough. After ripping him open, she dined on his stuffing. I had to chase her around to keep her from eating it, but she was too fast. I suspect I will be seeing bits of Rufus in a couple days in her litter box.

February 14, 2005 | Permalink

Comments

Daisey does the same thing with her toys! She also tries to take the cats' Raggedy Anne doll, but the cat fights for it! The cat won't sleep in her rocking chair if the doll isn't in it and Daisey knows this by now! She is a terrible bully!

Posted by: Lisa | Feb 15, 2005 4:31:10 AM

I'm a long time reader of Shelby's blog. We have a beautiful black pug puppy named Sasha who is going to be a year old in March. I just had to comment when I read this post. This goes to all pet owners. Please, please be careful with toys and blankets that have synthetic stuffing and batting. Sasha loves to eat the stuff; it's practically a compulsion. A few months ago, our older dog Brenna dug open a hole in an old comforter to make a "nest" and Sasha greedily scarfed down a wad of batting before I even realized what happened. I never saw her do it and when she stopped eating I didn't know why. Nearly two weeks, lots of tests, x-rays, and fluids later, my husband finally made me believe it was possible that she had swallowed enough batting to get lodged in her stomach and that's exactly what happened. I told the vet, who after looking at the xrays again thought that was a likely scenario. So we went ahead with surgery and none to soon. Luckily, Sasha is perfectly alright now, but things could have gone much worse. I felt like the least deserving pug mommy in the world after that incident and I don't want anyone else to have to go through that.

Posted by: Karena | Feb 15, 2005 9:31:07 AM

Agreed. It's amazing what Shelby thinks is good eating, and some things are definitely dangerous. It goes for more than inanimate objects as well. Shelby has thrown up part of a greenie because she swallowed the end whole and it got stuck in her stomach. Luckily, it didn't get any further, or Shelby would need surgery to dislodge it. Now we try to keep her calm and supervised when she eats them.

Posted by: Winnie | Feb 15, 2005 2:56:23 PM

Our dogs LOVE to tear the stuffing out of stuffed animals -- one of them can and does surgically de-squeak everything within 2 minutes. But they rarely eat it, and they never chew on anything els.e (Did I say never? I meant rarely.) I compensate by buying 50-cent used stuffed animals at the thrift store. :) Sometimes they hold up better than the $12 squeaky toys.

Posted by: Andrea | Feb 15, 2005 3:13:38 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.